Any foreign national willing to move to the UK in search of a job, can do so by applying through a Skilled worker visa route. The skilled workers need a genuine Certificate of Sponsorship(CoS) from a UK sponsor(the employer).

The Employer must offer a genuine vacancy to the skilled worker or staff who would be working for the employer.

Eligibility to apply as a skilled worker

To become eligible for a Skilled Worker visa, you must:

  1. Hired to work for a genuine UK employer that’s been approved by the Home Office
  2. Have been issued a Certificate of sponsorship from your employer with information about the role you have offered in the UK
  3. do a job that’s on the list of eligible shortage occupations list
  4. be paid a minimum salary as be the ‘going rate’

How do you begin application

 If you are applying for a skilled worker visa, from outside the UK, you must make an online application and submit the required documents.

The documents you must provide are:

  1. Certificate of sponsorship reference number – your employer will provide you this
  2. Documentary proof of your knowledge of English language skills
  3. a passport or other relevant document that proves your identity and nationality
  4. The job title you have been offered and annual salary
  5. The job’s occupation code as mentioned in the shortage occupations list
  6. the name of your employer and their sponsor licence number – this will be mentioned on the certificate of sponsorship

Visa approval

It is recommended that you apply for a skilled worker visa application 3 months before the date of your travel.

It could take 3 weeks in the decision making process by the UK visa immigration of the Home Office, if you are applying from within the Uk and up to 8 weeks if you are applying from outside the country.

Length of your stay in the UK

The skilled worker visa is valid for a period of 5 years. You will be required to extend your visa before it expires or if you change your employer.

Once you have got the skilled worker visa, you can work and stay in the UK for 5 years. After 5 years you become eligible for Indefinite leave to remain(ILR) in the UK.

How can you apply to get Indefinite leave to remain

The skilled workers after having lived for 5 years or more(10 years in some cases) will qualify for Indefinite Leave to remain if they fulfil certain conditions

You must have:

  1. been residing in the UK legally for 5 years or 10 years (known as your ‘continuous residence’)
  2. Lived lawfully to the terms of your UK visa
  3. If you are  above 18 years of age and below 65 years old
  • Passed the Life in the UK Test
  • You must prove that you have adequate English language proficiency

How to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain

You must make an online application and submit the below mentioned documents within the stipulated time.

  1. A valid passport
  2. The biometric residence permit(if you have)
  3. all the other passports you have held during your time in the UK
  4. You have to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

When you apply, you will be required to make an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) to provide your biometric information that is your fingerprints and a photograph

You should also be submitting all your supporting documents, upload them into the online service portal, and get them scanned at your UKVCAS appointment.

When to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain

There is no time limit or duration to apply for Indefinite Leave to remain. The skilled workers can immediately begin their application as soon as they fully understand and meet all the eligibility requirements. You must also take support from immigration specialists to make your application since the documentation process can be daunting. A Y & J Solicitors have helped over 4000 clients to get their visa approved successfully. They provide bespoke legal advice.